Thursday, December 31, 2009

Dinner For One

When I first moved to Germany over three years ago, the one thing that was really surprising to me was the overwhelming presence of the English language in the culture. I would see signs everywhere written in what I call "Denglish" (Deutsch/English) and I could not believe how many songs were on the radio that I had just heard having left the States. I consider myself quite lucky that so many Germans are fluent in English, although the majority immediately apologize for their "bad English" when most really have no need to.

But one such "English" tradition that has worked it's way into the hearts of the Germans as a New Year's Eve staple is a funny little British production from 1963 that is run each year like one would see "It's a Wonderful Life" in the States at Christmas time. The great thing is that one does not really have to understand too much English to enjoy this physical comedy that keeps my husband laughing quite heartily like it was the first time he had seen it that year and not the 34th year.

If you have never seen "Dinner For One", might I strongly suggest that you pull up a chair, maybe a glass of champagne, and make it part of your New Year's Eve tradition... "the same procedure as every year."

7 comments :

  1. They listen to the 80s music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of "Dinner for One" and I am sure that no one I know has..and my mum has lived here most of her life and I have never heard her mention it either. I might do a bit of research,

    When I lived in Germany in the 80's they did not speak English, well not many did. Which was quite hard, but we got by.

    Happy New year best wishes from us in the UK x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've seen it for the first time this year. i've heard about it before though. i think it's hilarious! =)
    i hope you've had a great start into this year 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a classic! warm wishes for the new year! besos-jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!
    and happy new year to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this show! It is so funny and you are right you don't need to understand much German to get this show. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We found it online and made my family watch it on New Year's while we were in the States over the holidays. It has it's funny moments, but none of them could fathom how it became such a hit w/the Germans!

    My husband grew up watching it - at 8:15pm on New Years, and I think there's another showing at 11:30pm? anyhow, it's such a random German tradition, isn't it?! =P Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails